So you think you have it bad – well suppose you had a bad boss and one of the most stressful jobs in America? CareerCast.com studied dozens of factors that lead to job stress and ranked 200 professions by how much these factors impacted an average workday. Factors included work environment, perceived risk of unemployment and job competitiveness. According to their research, these are the 5 most stressful jobs in America.
5. Cops – It goes without saying, any job that includes the potential of being shot is stressful, but add to that long hours and dealing with people like the one’s featured each week on the tv show Cops, then it’s no wonder cops made the top 5.
4. Surgeons – With life and death at their fingertips, surgeons rank #4 in stressful jobs. Erratic hours and the rise in malpractice cases also add to the stressful nature of this job.
3. Taxi Drivers – Cab drivers work erratic hours and frequently drive in bad weather conditions. They’re also confined to their vehicles for much of the day, making them vulnerable to criminals.
2. Corporate Executive – Ok, so we’re not exactly pulling out our violins for the men and women in these positions, but the highly competitive corporate exec field brings with it daily pressures to make far-reaching decisions that can affect not only companies but entire economies.
1. Firefighters – No surprise here. Firefighting ranks as the #1 stressful job in America. Firefighters risk serious injury and death while on the job, and are often required to spend long hours outdoors in bad weather,” says CareerCast.com.
For the complete list of America’s most stressful jobs, visit CareerCast.com .